Hardware startups are capital intensive and high risk. But they can shake the standstill and boost innovation.
Big, Bigger, Biggest
- Intel has acquired a few startups:
- Movidius (Movidius neural compute stick).
- Nervana (Neural network processor).
- Google has the TPU, tensor processing unit.
- Apple is working on the neural engine.
- Amazon is allegedly working on an Alexa AI chip.
- NVIDIA: more GPU based but still useful as AI accellerator.
No question about it, we will soon run out of name combinations with neural in it!One important giant missing in this list. AMD is also in the GPU market a long time (former ATI) but seems to have no intrest in the neural accellerator market.
Small, Smaller, Smallest
A few names go around the internet:
- Horizon Robotics.
- Wave computing.